Monday, April 15, 2013

Everytime We Say Goodbye.

 This blog post is dedicated to my sister Fabio.
A.K.A Kristin.
Also known as Sporty Spice.
And coincidentally one of the greatest people you will ever be lucky enough to meet.

“You may be as different as the sun and the moon, but the same blood flows through both your hearts. You need her, as she needs you...”  George R.R. Martin

I am a self-confessed lover of airports. For all of the cliche reasons too. I think you can find some of the purest examples of the depth of love and devotion possible between humans, whether they be friends, lovers, or in some cases sisters, standing at the arrival and departure gates. It's a beautiful thing to watch and although I have experienced those raw feelings of emotion myself several times in my life, nothing before could quite compare to the joy I felt as I saw my sister walking towards me, and then the overwhelming despair when I had to say good bye to her one week later.
I suppose in some respects eight months is not a terribly long time, and I must say that while I do have moments of homesickness and longing for my family my time here has flown by and I haven't once had a moment of true regret. 
But for eight months my worlds were separated by a very large ocean and almost the entirety of the United States of America. My family and friends were in California and my temporary life was here in Munich. But when those two collided, when my sister stepped off the airplane and into my German reality suddenly the clear lines between the two weren't so distinguishable anymore.
Dropping her off at the airport was incredibly hard; a part of me was sure that I wouldn't cry but let me tell you, the waterworks were out in full force. Of course there were people standing all around me with similar looks of loss and sadness on their own faces and mascara stained cheeks. 
So at least I was in good company.
But the worst part?
Taking the train home, imagining her sitting across from me in the same seats.
Walking into my house and being able to picture her boots lying by the door.
Going down into my room and seeing the water cup she'd sipped from the night before, and the bed she had been laying on with the blankets all tangled, just as she'd left them.
For one unforgettable week I'd spent every single moment with the beautiful, strong, and incredibly loving person I am fortunate enough to call my sister, and to suddenly no longer have her there felt like she'd taken a part of me with her. A part that I won't have back for quite some time.

She was here, if only for a short time, but now she's gone again. 
And while her visit has brought on a bout of the strongest homesickness I've had since coming to Germany I still wouldn't change it for the world. Because even if one week could never feel like enough time with someone so incredibly important to me, it was still one week more then I would have had otherwise. And despite an almost comical string of unfortunate occurrences I still had the time of my life. Definitely worth it.

Things that tried to ruin our trip, but ultimately were unable to:
1. Horrible weather. We're talking wind and snow and rain, cloudy skies and foggy mornings. The forecast for the week started off tolerably well and then each day got progressively worse. I think we saw blue skies one time, for about half a day. Thanks a lot Germany!
2. Trains that didn't quite correspond to our purchased tickets. One crabby ticket woman later and I was forced to say "Auf Wiedersehen" to eighty euros. One mistake I will NOT be making twice. 
3. Plans that kept having to be altered and changed because of said weather and other unforeseen circumstances. We weren't able to see and do everything I'd originally hoped we could but we had fun nonetheless.
4. Stomach viruses!
Unfortunate occurrences: 300
Sarah and Kristin: 900
I have to give them some credit for putting up a valiant effort.

And now for the good stuff :)

How familiar are you with the Sound of Music?
Do you know all of the lyrics to every single song?
Did you pretend to march down the stairs in a school uniform with the Von Trapp children as a small child?
Do you know that to learn to sing you must start at the very beginning, and that the first three notes 
just happen to be Do Re Mi?
Because Kristin and I could answer yes to all of those questions. We have been Sound of Music fiends since we were seven and five years old, respectively, and so of course a visit together to Salzburg was mandatory. And if you were to ask me whether we sang along to all the songs played during the time we spent on the tour bus I would unashamedly look you in they eyes and say one thing: 
obviously. 

We saw those hills. They may have been covered in snow and the view obstructed by storm clouds, but they were still there. It counts.

We knew that the tour would be a lot of fun, simply because we are exactly the kind of people who would enjoy visiting all the sights in Salzburg used as a backdrop for the film, but what we weren't expecting was to fall completely in love with the city itself. Salzburg is truly incredible, and this was when it was covered by gray skies and a bit of snow. I could just imagine what it must be like in the spring and summer. We hadn't any sort of plan for our visit other then the tour itself and ended up using a map provided by the hostel we stayed at to do our own walking tour of the historic city center. We huffed and puffed our way up to the medieval fortress situated on a mountain high above the city with incredible views and when we were hungry chose an authentic-looking Austrian restaurant.
Spinach dumpling balls = deliciousness.

 Truly I think I would be happy in Salzburg for quite some time. The only real draw back was that smoking is still allowed inside restaurants and cafe's. Which is fairly disgusting.
But look at that view!

We had quite a few epic nights out in Munich filled with adventures and escapades, all you really need to know is that they generally involved German Bier. Kristin tried on the cutest Dirndl I do believe I've ever seen. It has inspired me to go out and buy another one of my own. I'm trying to resist seeing as how I already have a perfectly beautiful Dirndl, and they are quite expensive. I'll let you know how that resolution goes. But I really can understand how Bavarian woman own four to five different Dirndl's of their own. These things are addictive and pretty much look awesome on everyone. They're like magic dresses.

 All dressed up with lots of places to go :)

While exploring Munich we found an adorable cake shop. The display window faces the street and is filled with some of the prettiest 'Tortes' you ever will see. I've passed by it hundreds of times and never stopped to try one, so it's a good thing Kristin was there to persuade me to stop in. Or not such a good thing, depending on how you look at it. I'm sure my gym membership won't be too happy. But seriously, these little creations were amazing. One of the most disappointing things in life is when you bite into something that looks heavenly only to be sorely disappointed. Thankfully this was not the case.

 If you ever find yourself in Munich find Cafe Maelu. And then send me a cake.

We almost froze during a tour of Dachau. At one point the guide commented that we looked pretty miserable every time we were asked to step outside. Kristin had an excuse, literally just having come from California, I had absolutely none. I was cold because I didn't wear warm enough clothing. Once I heard someone say that there is no cold weather, only inadequate clothing. True story. I do have to say though that it added an almost surreal element to the experience. The last time I was at Dachau it was a beautiful fall day. The sun was shining and it was warm. The whole place was surrounded by lush, green trees and framed by a perfectly blue sky. A harsh contrast to the reality of the camp itself. This time I was so cold and uncomfortable that it was hard not to imagine the prisoners standing outside in the camp yard themselves for hours to be counted and berated in little more then pajama sets and worn shoes, and in weather much colder then what we endured. It was a stark reminder of how little I had to actually complain about.

This iron gate leading into Dachau with the infamous "ARBEIT MACHT FREI". English translation: work will set you free. This slogan was placed at the entrances of many of the Nazi concentration camps.

We made friends at the famous Haufbrauhaus and Augustiner bier halls and drank our Maß down like champions. And by some miracle the absolute BEST eis place in German had just re-opened for the spring and summer season. So Kristin got some of that as well. Twice :) :)
P.S. Winter: take a hint. I am so over you.

And of course, we spent quite a bit of time with the boys who fell head over heels in love with meine schwester. She truly had them wrapped around her finger. At one point we were told that they had a new plan: when my year was up Kristin was to come back to Germany and take my place. Keeping it in the family! But don't worry Mom, she intends to finish school first.

Things Kristin can now appreciate about Germany:
1. Super cool old churches.
2. Super cool old buildings. 
3. Schittgablerstrasse.
4. Balla Benni's!
5. German bakeries. (She fell in love.)
6. Dirndl's.
7. Gummi Bears!
8. Cute German babies! Seriously, they're pretty adorable.

We love Haribo.

To my sister: thank you for sacrificing your spring break to come spend a week in the North Pole. I'm sorry Germany tried to freeze the life out of you. But you survived! I love you as much as the whole world and back again and I can't imagine the person I would be without your influence. With you I will always be home.

P.S. I still say our next adventure should be the Amazing Race. We would knock everyone's socks off.
And because I was lucky enough to have my best friend visit me one week after my sister left you should all expect that blog update very soon. Despite the (finally) BEAUTIFUL weather outside my window it's going to happen. Get ready Theresa Rose!

Twelve days until I get to see my mama and one month until I'm lying on the beaches of SPAIN!
And today I found plane tickets from Munich to Rome for 90 EUROS. So that's definitely happening.
Happy Spring to everyone in Europe who is seeing the sun for the first time in months, and to all my family and friends. Goodbye winter, hello bier gardens and Fruhlingsfest!

XO
Sarah
















No comments:

Post a Comment